‘World’s Best Restaurant’ poisons 63 diners due to poor hygiene


Noma Was Named the “World’s Best Restaurant” Three Times by Restaurant Magazine

Lance Tillson

“Poor hand hygiene” is reportedly the source of a stomach virus outbreak at Noma, a world-class restaurant in Copenhagen, Denmark. According to Reuters, Noma apologized Friday after 63 guests became sick after visiting the restaurant. The guests became ill with vomiting and diarrhea, two symptoms associated with norovirus.

Noma is no ordinary restaurant. The Danish restaurant has earned two Michelin stars from the Michelin Guide, a series of annual guide books published by Michelin for over a dozen countries. And, it was named the “World’s Best Restaurant” three times by Restaurant Magazine, according to the New York Daily News.

Despite its stellar reputation, the norovirus outbreak may have come from a sick kitchen staff employee, according to Danish food safety inspectors.

“We have established that from 12 groups, with 63 ill out of 78 who ate there in the period of 12th Feb. to 16th Feb became ill. At the same time there has been illness among personnel handling food,” wrote the Danish Food Standards Agency in a report.

According to the Centers for Disease Control, norovirus is an extremely contagious virus. A person can get norovirus from an infected individual, contaminated food or water, or by touching contaminated surfaces. Norovirus symptoms include stomach pain, nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.

The CDC adds that norovirus is the most common cause of acute gastroenteritis in the United States. It causes approximately 21 million illnesses and contributes to about 70,000 hospitalizations and 800 deaths annually.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the Danish Food Administration officials have lowered Noma’s “smiley rating” from a big smiley to a smaller smiley (you can read more about Denmark’s food smileys here).

Noma managing director Peter Kreiner told Reuters in an email that the restaurant is working very closely with the Danish food safety inspectors to identify the source of the infection. Kreiner also told Reuters that has discussed compensation with all of the affected diners.

Disclaimer/ Disclosure: The Investors News Magazine is a third party publisher of news and research as well as creates original content as a news source. Original content created by Investors News Magazine is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Disclosure is posted on each release if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and is published for the sole interest of our readers.

Advertisements

One thought on “‘World’s Best Restaurant’ poisons 63 diners due to poor hygiene

  1. Necessary to put you 1 rather little observation to lastly thank you once again more than the nice tactics you might have shared on this internet site. It has been remarkably open-handed of people today like you giving openly just what many us would’ve distributed as an e-book to obtain some dough on their very own, principally considering that you may well have completed it should you regarded important. These points in addition worked as a wonderful technique to totally grasp that some people have exactly the same keenness just like mine to understand rather a lot additional in terms of this concern. I’m certain there are several additional pleasurable instances ahead for quite a few who have a look at your blog.

    Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s