Boston Marathon Bomber Formally Charged


Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was charged by federal prosecutors

BM 1Denise Lavoie and Steve Peoples, Associated Press

BOSTON Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was charged by federal prosecutors in his hospital room Monday with using a weapon of mass destruction to kill — a crime that carries a possible death sentence.

A magistrate judge went to the hospital to conduct the initial appearance, an official at the Federal Courthouse in Boston confirmed to CBS News.

bm 2Officials have said Tsarnaev, 19, and his older brother set off the twin explosions at last week’s race that killed three people and wounded more than 180. His brother, Tamerlan, 26, died Friday after a fierce gunbattle with police.

Tsarnaev was listed in serious but stable condition at Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital, unable to speak because of a gunshot wound to the throat.

However, Tsarnaev is conscious and responding in writing to authorities, CBS News correspondent Bob Orr reported. Officials did not reveal further details on what they are asking, or what his responses are.

bm3The charges represented a decision by the Obama administration to prosecute him in the federal court system instead of trying him as an enemy combatant in front of a military tribunal. Under the military system, defendants are not afforded some of the usual U.S. constitutional protections.

Tsarnaev, an ethnic Chechen from Russia who has lived in the United States for about a decade, is a naturalized U.S. citizen, and under U.S. law, American citizens cannot be tried by military tribunals, White House spokesman Jay Carney said. Carney said that since the Sept. 11 attacks, the federal court system has been used to convict and incarcerate hundreds of terrorists.

Tsarnaev was charged with using and conspiring to use a weapon of mass destruction against persons and property, resulting in death.

He is also likely to face state charges in connection with the shooting death of an MIT police officer.

bm 4It was not clear whether Tsarnaev was shot by police or inflicted the wound himself. After an intense all-day manhunt that brought the Boston area to a near-standstill, he was captured Friday night, wounded and bloody, after he was discovered hiding in a tarp-covered boat in a Watertown backyard.

Meanwhile, the FBI said in an affidavit that Dzhokhar Tsarnaevwas seen using a cellphone after placing a knapsack on the ground at an explosion site. The document did not say whether he is thought to have used the cellphone as a detonator.

The affidavit also said one of the bombers told a carjacking victim, “Did you hear about the Boston explosion? I did that.”

bm 5U.S. officials said the elite interrogation team would question Tsarnaev, a Massachusetts college student, without reading him his Miranda rights, which guarantees the right to remain silent and the right to an attorney.

Senior correspondent John Miller told “CBS This Morning” that investigators are focused at the moment on the “public safety exceptions” — questioning the suspect on matters of immediate threats.

“It’s basically, ‘Where did you make the bombs? Are there any more explosives out there? Any more cells? Are there any more people?'” said Miller.

“And while I’m told he’s being cooperative, I’m also getting the sense — and I want to be careful of too many specifics here — that he’s not saying there’s a whole second wave of plots or plotters here. Still there are places where there may be explosives and other things to find, it sounds like.”

bm6.jpgBut Miller stressed that is it is still early in the investigation, and the process of questioning Tsarnaev — who can only respond by writing – is slow. “Things could develop or change,” Miller said.

American Civil Liberties Union Executive Director Anthony Romero said the legal exception applies only when there is a continued threat to public safety and is “not an open-ended exception” to the Miranda rule.

Seven days after the bombings, Boston was bustling Monday, with runners hitting the pavement, children walking to school and enough cars clogging the streets to make the morning commute feel almost back to normal.

Mass Gov: Not sure Boston will ever be “quite the same”

bm7Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick asked residents to observe a moment of silence at 2:50 p.m. Monday, the time the first of the two bombs exploded near the finish line. Bells were expected to toll across the city and state after the minute-long tribute to the victims.

Also, hundreds of family and friends packed a church in Medford for the funeral of bombing victim Krystle Campbell, a 29-year-old restaurant worker. A memorial service was scheduled for Monday night at Boston University for 23-year-old Lu Lingzi, a graduate student from China.

Fifty-one victims remained hospitalized Monday, three of them in critical condition.

bm 9At the Snowden International School on Newbury Street, a high school set just a block from the bombing site, jittery parents dropped off children as teachers — some of whom had run in the race — greeted each other with hugs.

Carlotta Martin of Boston said that leaving her kids at school has been the hardest part of getting back to normal.

“We’re right in the middle of things,” Martin said outside the school as her children, 17-year-old twins and a 15-year-old, walked in, glancing at the police barricades a few yards from the school’s front door.

“I’m nervous. Hopefully, this stuff is over,” she continued. “I told my daughter to text me so I know everything’s OK.”

The city was also beginning to reopen sections of the six-block area around the bombing site.

Police Commissioner believes Tsarnaevs planned to attack others

bm 8.pngInvestigators believe that two brothers suspected in the Boston Marathon bombings were likely planning other attacks, based on the cache of weapons uncovered, the city’s police commissioner, Ed Davis, told CBS’ “Face the Nation” on Sunday. He said authorities found an arsenal of homemade explosives after Friday’s gun battle between police and the two suspects.

“We have reason to believe, based upon the evidence that was found at that scene — the explosions, the explosive ordnance that was unexploded and the firepower that they had — that they were going to attack other individuals,” Davis said. “That’s my belief at this point.”

ap logo

For more information: sentinelandenterprise.com/white-house-bombing-suspect-wont-be-tried-enemy?

Disclaimer/ Disclosure: The Investors News Magazine is a third party publisher of news and research as well as creates original content as a news source. Original content created by Investors News Magazine is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Disclosure is posted on each release if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and is published for the sole interest of our readers.

Boston Marathon Bombing We Need To Catch The Culprits


Boston Marathon Bombings An “Act of Terror”

http://www.trbimg.com/img-1366073139/turbine/chi-marathon2-20130415/1024UPDATE: At the White House today President Barack Obama called the Boston Marathon bombings an “act of terror” but said it is not clear yet whether they were the work of a foreign or domestic group or a “malevolent individual.” Obama urged Americans to be vigilant and to watch for suspicious activity a day after two explosions rocked the finish line of the marathon, killing at least three people and wounding scores more.

Police have not taken anyone into custody in connection with their investigation, Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis said today. A total of 176 people were treated at area hospitals as a result of the attacks and 17 are in critical condition, Davis told a news conference.

A person who was injured in an explosion near the finish line of the 117th Boston Marathon is taken away from the scene on a stretcher.Late Monday, police searched a Boston area apartment of a Saudi Arabian student who was injured in the blast, law enforcement sources said.

Today, law enforcement sources briefed on the case said that the evidence was indicating that the Saudi student, who had been temporarily considered a “person of interest” in the investigation, would be cleared of suspicion and was unlikely to shed any light on the attack.

Richard Deslauriers, FBI special agent in charge of the investigation, declined to name any people being interviewed in the case.

Dispelling earlier reports of as many as seven devices being found around Boston, Gene Marquez, assistant special agent in charge for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, said authorities had determined that the only bombs deployed in the attack were the two that detonated shortly before 3 p.m. ET on Monday.

Any unexploded device might have provided a clearer picture of what materials were used and how the bomb was assembled, furnishing leads in the case.

Obama: Americans ‘refuse to be terrorized’

Debris is seen along Boylston Street after explosions went off at the 117th Boston Marathon.Obama, briefed by FBI Director Robert Mueller, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and other national security aides, said there is still much to be investigated in what was the worst attack on U.S. soil since Sept. 11, 2001.

There is no sense of a motive and no indication as to who planted the bombs and detonated them, he said, condemning it as a “heinous and cowardly act.”

“Any time bombs are used to target innocent civilians, it is an act of terror,” Obama said. “What we don’t yet know, however, is who carried out this attack or why, whether it was planned and executed by a terrorist organization – foreign or domestic – or was the act of a malevolent individual.”

A man in a bomb-disposal suit investigates the site of an explosion which went off on Boylston Street during the 117th Boston Marathon.The president ordered the U.S. flag atop the White House lowered to half staff in memory of the victims.

He said the investigation into the bombings is just beginning.

“It will take time to follow every lead and determine what happened. But we will find out,” Obama said. “We will find whoever harmed our citizens and we will bring them to justice. We also know this: the American people refuse to be terrorized.”

Boehner: ‘We will come together’

Congressional leaders reflected with grief on the tragic loss of life, but had few immediate answers as to the nature of the attack.

The flag over the U.S. Capitol was at half staff and there were signs of increased security on the grounds today.

House Speaker John A. Boehner said words can’t express the “sorrow” lawmakers feel for the families that lost loved ones and for those who were wounded. The attack was a reminder “of just how vulnerable” we are, he said, “in this era of what I’ll call modern warfare.”

“We don’t know who perpetrated this or for what reasons, but I’m confident that we’ll get to the bottom of it,” he said at a news conference. “It’s a terrible day for all Americans, but we carry on in the American spirit. We will come together with grace and with strength.”

The U.S. Senate opened as usual with a prayer from Chaplain Barry Black, who said the bombings “remind us that we live in a dangerous world and that human life, regardless of the level of physical excellence, is fragile.”

Downtown off limits

A person who was injured in an explosion near the finish line of the 117th Boston Marathon is taken away from the scene in a wheelchair.A large area of downtown Boston remained cordoned off by police today as authorities pursued their probe. A stretch of Boylston Street and the blocks around it were closed to traffic as police searched for evidence of the identity of who placed the bombs packed with ball bearings to maximize casualties.

In Boston, dozens of police and national guard vehicles were parked around the cordoned-off area, which was empty of cars and pedestrians as authorities hunted for clues.

A banner that had marked the race’s finish line still hung over the deserted street.

Search turns to the public

Bystanders tend to an injured man following explosions at the Boston Marathon.U.S. investigators led by the FBI are poring over video and photographs from the widely watched marathon for clues to determine who is responsible for the bombs.

Because the Boston Marathon is run by 27,000 people and some 500,000 come to watch every year, officials expect plenty of visual evidence into what happened before and after two devices exploded as hundreds of runners streamed to the finish line at Copley Plaza in Boston’s Back Bay neighborhood.

Some victims would require further surgery in the coming days, said Peter Fagenholz, a trauma surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital.

Bystanders help an injured woman at the scene of the first explosion on Boylston Street near the finish line of the 117th Boston Marathon.“We’re seeing a lot of shrapnel injuries” from small metal debris, Fagenholz told reporters outside the hospital. Doctors treated 29 people, of whom eight were in a critical condition.

An 8-year-old boy was among the dead. A two-year-old was being treated at Boston Children’s Hospital for a head wound, the hospital said.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation is heading the investigation with help from city, state and federal officials, FBI Special Agent Richard DesLauriers said at an evening news conference.

CIA joins probe

Exlosions go off near the finish line of the 117th Boston Marathon.Police have told people, including the thousands of visitors who came to participate in Boston’s signature sporting event, to stay inside and not congregate in open spaces.

In addition to domestic law enforcement, intelligence agencies such as the CIA and the National Counterterrorism Center have joined the investigation.

At least two, essentially contradictory, theories about who might be behind the explosions were under immediate consideration by investigators, officials told Reuters on the condition of anonymity.

One theory, based at least in part upon the timing of the bombings – on the day when U.S. tax returns are due and also on the day of the Boston Marathon, which is customarily held on Patriots’ Day – implies that domestic right-wing extremists, such as anti-government anti-tax activists, could be behind the attacks.

Disclaimer/ Disclosure: The Investors News Magazine is a third party publisher of news and research as well as creates original content as a news source. Original content created by Investors News Magazine is protected by copyright laws other than syndication rights. Disclosure is posted on each release if required but otherwise the news was not compensated for and is published for the sole interest of our readers.